CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Interning

I have been interning at Health Resources Arkansas for the last 6 weeks. On Tuesdays I am at Evergreen, which most of you know as Independence Inn. For anyone that is not familiar with what Evergreen is, it is a residential facility for mentally ill. They have rooms for residents as well as some that are kept open for homeless that just need to get back on their feet again. Evergreen provides services to the residents and day treatment for some non-residents. I just can not express how much I love working at Evergreen. Spending the morning with "my peoples" there makes my whole week! I dread the day my internship ends there. On Thursdays I am at HRA outpatient. I enjoy my time there as well but nothing compared to Evergreen. The level of interaction is far less at outpatient, and I really like interacting with the clients. Anyhow, all of this interning experience has made me really think about what I want to do with my life. I thought For Sure that I wanted to do substance abuse counseling, and now I just don't know. I am still very interested in it, but I feel so complete when working with those that are severely mentally ill.( I know there's a joke there somewhere) All of a sudden I have decisions to make about something I thought I was certain about. Knowing that graduation is fast approaching, I hope to get things figured out soon. In the meantime, I am going to continue to take advantage of the opportunities I have been given and keep you posted on my ever-changing career goals!

0 comments: